Amazonas – Perú
Amazonas is a region located in northern Peru bordering Ecuador. It is known for its dense cloud forests, the rugged Andes mountains and pre-Inca archeological sites. The most prominent archeological site is Kuélap, a pre-Inca settlement that has hundreds of buildings and a large perimeter wall. To the south is Chachapoyas, the capital of the region, which is known for its’ red tile roofs.
Amazonas has 7 Provinces: Chachapoyas, Luya, Bagua, Condorcanqui, Bongara, Rodríguez de Mendoza and Utcubamba
- Capital: Chachapoyas
- Official Language: Spanish
- Coordinates: 6°13′S 77°51′O / -6.22, -77.85
- Population: 379,384 Inhabitants
Regional Provinces of Amazonas from Chachapoyas:
- Province of Chachapoyas (Regional Capital)
- Province of Bagua (Capital Bagua) 162 Km / 3 Hours
- Province of Bongará (Capital Jumbilla) 107 Km / 3 Hours
- Province of Luya (Capital Lámud) 29 Km / 1 Hours
- Province of Utcubamba (Capital Bagua Grande) 92 Km / 2h 30 Min
- Province of Rodríguez De Mendoza (Capital San Nicolás) 84 Km / 2 Hours
- Province of Condorcanqui (Capital Santa María De Nieva) 570 Km / 9 Hours
Chachapoyas was the sixth city founded in Peru in colonial times. It is a city of narrow streets, a varied climate, beautiful landscapes and especially hospitable people who will welcome you with open arms. With the same hospitality Chachapoyas Travel provides you with all the information and service you need to make your visit a truly unforgettable experience.
- Chachapoyas Capital of the Amasonas Region
- Location: North East of Perú
- Area: 39.249 Km
- Temperatures between 12 C° - 25 C°
- Population of 32,026 inhabitants, National Census 2017
ARRIVING BY AIR:
- Lima - Jaen - Chachapoyas. (RECOMMENDED BY CHACHAPOYAS TRAVEL)
Flight from the city of Lima to the city of Jaen (1 hour 15 minutes). Pick up and transport from the Jaen airport to the city of Chachapoyas (4 hours), on a beautiful 210 km route filled with stunning landscapes along a comfortable paved road kept in excellent repair.
- Lima – Chachapoyas
Flight from the city of Lima to the city of Chachapoyas 1 hour 45 minutes operated by the ATSA Airline. 3 weekly flights: Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Frequent weather delays in the rainy season, so we recommend flying to Jaen during this period
- Lima - Chiclayo - Chachapoyas.
Flight from the city of Lima to the city of Chiclayo (1 hour). From the city of Chiclayo to the city of Chachapoyas by bus (9 hours), overnight service with sleeper bus service available arriving in Chachapoyas in the morning ready to start your visit.
- Lima - Tarapoto - Chachapoyas
Flight from the city of Lima to the city of Tarapoto (1 hour and 30 minutes). From the city of Tarapoto you have 2 options: you can take a plane with SAETA airline (30 minutes, 3 daily flights) direct to Chachapoyas Airport, or you can take a bus that leaves from the city of Tarapoto every hour (from 6 am to 2 pm) on an incredibly scenic 400-kilometer journey (8 hours).
- Lima - Cajamarca - Chachapoyas
Flight from the city of Lima to the city of Cajamarca (1 hour). From Cajamarca to Chachapoyas by bus (11 hours), the landscape is spectacular but there is just one company, Virgen del Carmen, that provides basic service.
ARRIVING BY LAND from Lima:
- Lima-Chiclayo-Chachapoyas: 1219 Km (22 hours by car)
- Trujillo-Chiclayo-Chachapoyas: 653 Km (13 hours by car)
- Chiclayo-Chachapoyas: 449 Km (10 hours by bus)
- Cajamarca-Chachapoyas: 336 Km (10 hours by bus).
- Jaén–Chachapoyas: 183 Km (4 hours by bus).
- Tarapoto–Chachapoyas: 353 Km (8 hours).
What You Should Know Before Traveling to Chachapoyas
About Climate, Altitude, Temperature and Recommended Travel Time
Chachapoyas is located at 2334 m.a.s.l. with average annual temperatures of day 21 ° C and night 12 ° C. Due to climate change, the climate in the Amazon region is very variable, we currently receive visitors throughout the Year, with months between June to November most recommended .
- Dry Season: June to September
- Mid Season: October to December
- Rainy Season: January to May
Clothing and Gear
We suggest bringing a windbreaker, raincoat or poncho (with a hood), especially in the rainy season, fleece jacket or warm clothes for the nights, long pants, non-slip shoes, water resistant and high-topped (especially in the rainy season), binoculars, wide brimmed hat, canes or walking sticks, sunscreen, insect repellant, a small backpack to carry during your excursions, water bottle, camera, medications, etc..
Currently in the city of Chachapoyas we have the BCP Bank and the National Bank, both with ATM facilities. There is 1 SCOTIABANK agent and CONTINENTAL BANK agent. There are no GLOBAL NET ATMs.
Chachapoyas has no official Exchange Houses, but some commercial stores, the BCP Bank or travel agencies will exchange US Dollars, (they will not exchange euros or other currency).
In our office you can make payments with by VISA card (check if your quote includes the commission for such transaction)
It is not necessary to have vaccines for Yellow Fever or Malaria when visiting this region since we are not in an area endemic for these diseases, due to our higher altitude and colder temperate climate.
Kuelap Cable Car Operations
Keep in mind that the Kuelap Cable Cars close occasionally for maintenance. In high season we recommended you book your tour to Kuelap in advance. Check the dates with Chachapoyas Travel.
Major Festivals in Chachapoyas
Mixture of Chachapoyan customs. It is celebrated with the planting of "Humishas", large trees that are adorned with balloons, streamers, garments and other objects; In addition, there is a contest of floats, the election of carnival queens, social and popular dances, water games, streamers and colors.
Chachapoyas Tourist Week
Recreational, social and cultural activities. A festival that celebrates the Raymi Llaqta de los Chachapoyas, in which the communities of the area gather their dancers to show the best of their folklore. This is the main regional festival, in which its’ diversity enchants all the visitors who participate in the festivities.
Festival Patronal Virgin Asunta
Folklore, religion and devotion are the Ideal elements to perfectly describe this Amazonas festival which venerates the virgin “Mamá Asunta”, who arrived in the town in the 19th century. Thousands of faithful take to the streets to participate in the traditional pilgrimage in honor of the Virgin Asunta de Chachapoyas, which reaches churches located in specific areas of the city. Devotees can also be part of these festivities by participating in cultural and recreational activities, and at fairs whose diversity enchants all the visitors who participate.
Chachapoyas Travel is the leading travel and tourism agency in the Amazon Region, inspired by each of the tourist attractions that we introduce to our clients, under our philosophy of quality, punctuality and responsible service.
Tour operators in the Amazon region - Chachapoyas Jr. Grau 561 on the Main Plaza of the city. cel. 941997126 – whatsApp. 941715623
The best places to taste the exquisite Chachapoyana cuisine, typical desserts and drinks that are part of the experience of visiting this beautiful land.
- El Batan Del Tayta
- Los Guayachos Restaurant
- La Real Cecina
- Restaurant Chacha
- Mistura Urco
- Café San Jose
Suggested dishes to order to taste the cuisine of Chachapoyas.
- La Cecina (salted and smoked beef or pork slices)
- Chochoca soup with Caransho (corn based soup with pork rinds)
- Juanes (spiced rice, meat, olive and egg wrapped in a local leaf and boiled. Often used when travelling)
- Tamales (ground dried corn and meat cooked wrapped in Banana Leaf)
- Humitas (ground green corn and cheese cooked wrapped in Banana Leaf)
- Locro (local stew)
- Chicharones de Chancho (deep fried pork morsels)